Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters: Novak Djokovic comes out of injury

Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters

Novak Djokovic, who had an injured elbow, is all well and will face Gilles Simon in the round 2 of Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters Tuesday.

The 29-year-old pulled out from the Miami Masters 2017 due to an elbow problem. However, the world no.2 led the Serbian team into the Davis cup semifinal last week.

In an interview, Djokovic said that it’s normal for an athlete to go through ups and downs.

He added, “I trust myself and the efforts I put into my games and I have to believe that I’ll get the results I’m hoping for.

Djokovic, a two winner at Monte-Carlo Masters, in 2013 and 2015 is hoping this will be the place to have a new start to the season. He is the second seed behind world No.1 Andy Murray is also back from a similar injury.

Last year, the Serb was stopped in the second round by Jiri Vesely.

jelena ristic and novak djokovic
Novak Djokovic with wife Jelena

For Djokovic, the first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament on clay in 2017, is one of the most significant and special events of the year. In an interview on the event’s Media Day, he said that it’s very beautiful to be in a place where he spent most of his time when he was not on the ATP Tour. He practices and has his home here. Adding, this week “I can sleep in my own bed and will be with my loved ones”

Djokovic who will be looking to bag his second ATP title of the year after Doha in a season that hasn’t gone that well so far.

He admitted that obviously, the first three months of the year didn’t go the way he wanted. He didn’t get results he was used to in the last seven or eight years, but he is aware that this is normal.

He added “I believe in myself, in my skills and I think that results will come sooner or later. Now I am only focused on Monte Carlo and I hope it’s the right place to start another tennis life for me this year.”

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here